Friday, January 22, 2010

Ohana Means Family





This is the family photo that my deceased uncle had in his house. He took this from our kampung house which is apparently no longer there (because the government decided that a highway is much more important than the Malays' land), enlarged the photo and had it framed.

Pretty nostalgic I can say...Even for me. I wonder how would my dad and all uncles and aunts feel when they see this. Remembering the good old days when everyone was still around.

The most left at the back is my dad..Comel kan? Haha...Next to him is my late uncle who passed away recently. Then my late grandparents. I never met my grandpa and I hardly know my grandma because when I was little, I used to be scared of her because she was so garang you know. But when I grew older I couldn't get to know her more because she was quite ill at that time. But what I know from my dad is that she was what we would call a perfect housewife. She was a great cook, a seamstress, a homemaker. She even made the best jeruk mangga and serunding ikan that I have ever tasted. Even at that time I was still a little girl, I knew a great jeruk mangga when I tasted one. I never met or knew my grandpa because he died before I was born. I only heard about him from the stories that were told to me. My aunts and uncles told me that my grandpa hailed from Sumatera, Indonesia and he used to work in the palace. He came here all alone. Sebatang kara. Then he married my step-granny (hehh??is there such word?) and my grandma was his second wife. But polygamy is sooo not inherited by all his sons. Not even one.Hmmmmm =B...

Anywhooo, the rest are my uncles and aunts except the boy who was sitting on the chair. He's my cousin. Step-cousin..Hehe...

I'm not that close to any of them except for my dad. But I love them still. They made me happy just being there. Being my uncles and aunts. And cousin. And this is the family that I'm proud to be a part of.

Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind, or forgotten.
(Lilo & Stitch)

No comments:

Post a Comment